FoxNews.com reports that
Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s tough tactics with investigation targets and witnesses are fueling complaints about the probe from President Trump and his allies at a critical stage, as key cooperation efforts seem to break down.
Just this week, conservative author Jerome Corsi balked at a plea deal after complaining the Mueller team wanted him to admit to lying (which he claims he didn’t do) only after he “couldn’t give them what they wanted.” He tweeted Wednesday he now plans to pursue a complaint against Mueller’s team.
Further, Mueller’s team has accused ex-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort of violating his plea deal by lying to investigators, amid reports his cooperation agreement was not panning out how prosecutors had hoped.
More information also has come to light about the nature of those Mueller-Manafort interactions, as it emerged Manafort’s legal team has been briefing Trump’s team about their discussions. The briefings reportedly fueled tensions with Mueller’s investigators, though it was already known that the president’s and Manafort’s legal teams have a joint defense agreement, meaning they share information.
But through these briefings, Trump’s team learned about Mueller’s focused line of questioning.
Specifically, top prosecutor Andrew Weissmann has been pumping Manafort for information about the president, with a focus on the highly scrutinized meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016 with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya, and whether Trump knew about it in advance.
Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani said the president is very upset with how Manafort has been treated, saying they keep hammering him with the same questions apparently seeking different answers.
Manafort already was convicted on multiple counts of financial fraud over the summer in connection with work he completed in Ukraine as a political consultant. A subsequent deal in a related case was seen as an opening for Mueller’s prosecutors to get new information, but that possibility seems to be diminishing.
In a court filing on Monday, Mueller, Weissmann and several other investigators accused Manafort of violating his plea deal, which was agreed upon in September.
“After signing the plea agreement, Manafort committed federal crimes by lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Special Counsel’s Office on a variety of subject matters, which constitute breaches of the agreement,” Mueller, Weissmann, Jeannie Rhee and Greg Andres wrote in a court filing Monday.
The President and Rudy’s instincts are dead on.
Andrew Weissmann is a veteran government prosecutor known for his work on the Enron task force and for going after mob figures in New York. He is an expert at “flipping” lower level defendants.
1. Weissmann Served as the FBI’s General Counsel Under Robert Mueller – Before his tenure at the FBI, Weissmann was a partner at Jenner & Block in New York for five years.
2. Weissmann Led the Enron Task Force but Not Without Controversy – Time after time, courts have reversed Weissmann’s most touted ‘victories’ for his tactics. This is hardly the stuff of a hero in the law. Weissmann, as deputy and later director of the Enron Task Force, destroyed the venerable accounting firm of Arthur Andersen LLP and its 85,000 jobs worldwide — only to be reversed several years later by a unanimous Supreme Court.
3. Weissmann Donated Money to President Barack Obama – Weissmann is a Barack Obama and Democratic campaign donor, according to federal records. “Weissmann, who led the Enron investigation, previously gave $2,300 to Obama’s first presidential campaign in 2008 and $2,000 to the Democratic National Committee in 2006, the same year Democrats won control of Congress.
4. Weissmann Attended Princeton & Columbia Universities & Prosecuted Mafia Crime Families – According to the DOJ press release, Weissmann “began his career with the Department of Justice in 1991 at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York, where he served in various leadership positions, including as chief of the Criminal Division. According to Mother Jones, one of the people Weissmann prosecuted had ties to Trump. “As a prosecutor in the Eastern District, Weissmann signed a 1998 cooperation agreement between the US government and Felix Sater, a violent felon and securities trader who had pleaded guilty to financial crimes. Sater went on to become a confidential informant for the FBI and a Trump business partner,” the magazine noted.
5. Some Conservatives Have Noted That Weissmann Was in a Position of Power During the Clinton Uranium Controversy – Some conservatives contend that Mueller has a conflict of interest because they argue the FBI, under his stewardship, should have more thoroughly investigated Bill and Hillary Clinton over a uranium deal known as Uranium One. National Review notes that Andrew Weissmann ran Obama DOJ’s Fraud Section during this time frame.
President Trump has been right all along.
This is nothing more than a Witch Hunt coordinated by a bunch of Democrats to attempt to either evict Trump from the White House or, at least, slow down his wonderful rapid progress on behalf of our Sovereign Nation to a crawl.
Mueller and his entire staff are nothing more than a Democratic Party Lynch Mob, being allowed to run amok and cause chaos in the heart of a Republican Administration.
Rush Limbaugh agrees with me.
If there were any integrity — and I mean this from the bottom of my sizable and beating-in-rhythm heart — if there were any integrity in this investigative team, they would have shut this thing down a month after they learned what has never happened and they would have shifted their direction toward the Democrats and the Hillary campaign and all of the fraud that existed in taking a phony document to the FISA court to get warrants to spy on innocent people while the FBI planted spies in the Trump campaign.
People with integrity, the kind of integrity we’re told Mueller has in abundance, would have immediately seen what’s gone on and brought a stop to all this. But no. That’s not what happened. It’s very clear what this is. This is the Washington establishment, the elites, the deep state, whatever you want to call it, remaining focused and using every ounce of federal power they can amass to continue their efforts to overturn the results of the election of 2016 and to destroy anybody they can who had anything to do with Trump winning.
Special Counsel Mueller has accomplished nothing but some low level political indictments through massively excessive spending of American Taxpayers’ money.
To go after 70-year old Jerome Corsi because he can not remember any information which could be used against President Trump is not only political vindictiveness, it is ruthless and petty.
Mueller and his gang of Democratic Donors need to present their findings and close up shop.
At this point, their efforts appear to the American Public as ineffectual as the reboot of “Murphy Brown”.
And, just like that anti-Trump Hate Fest, Mueller’s Witch Hunt needs to be cancelled.
Until He Comes,